We have all suffered those unsightly visitors on our skin called blemishes, pimples, blackheads, zits! Here is some advice about how to take care of them and achieve clear skin!
The biggest challenge is having the willpower NOT to pick at them! Breaking the skin by popping a pimple can cause the skin to scar. You also risk infecting it further by spreading bacteria. You are better off leaving it alone, and only applying topical ointments and letting it take its course. Also, overwashing, overscrubbing, and over applying treatment products will only aggravate your skin.
Adult acne and teenage acne are a bit different. Teenage acne is normally accompanied by oily skin, while in adults, acne can happen in both dry and oily skin types. Adult acne is even more prone to scarring than teenage acne because of the fact that adult skin does not heal as quickly, and the pimples run deeper that the upper layers of the skin.
You can speed the healing of a pimple overnight by crushing an aspirin, and making a paste with water and applying it directly. (please do not do this if you are allergic to aspirin) On a shoot, I have put a couple of drops of Visine on a pimple to cut down the redness.
Taking care of your acne prone skin 101:
1. Twice daily, wash your face with a foaming cleanser that has up to 5% salicylic acid. Will help to unclog your pores and reduce redness. Please do not over wash your skin you will only result in aggravating your face.
Murad Clarifying Cleanser
Philosophy Purity Made Simple
2. Applying a toner or astringent. Dermatologists say no, and aestheticians say yes. If you choose one, then choose one without alcohol, which will only dry your skin out. Overstripping the natural oils of your skin will create your sebaceous glands of over produce oil, because your skin become thirsty. I sometimes use a spray toner, not to wipe, but rather to refresh!
Caudalie Beauty Elixir
Apivita Green Tea Water
3. Exfoliate twice a week. If you have blemishes, use an exfoliator that is not a scrub (because scrubs will aggravate them). Go for a clay or sulfur mask.
Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque
DDF Sulfur Therapeutic Mask
4. Apply acne medication with either 5% salicylic acid, 5-10% benzoyl peroxide or a sulfur product.
Rare Minerals Blemish Therapy
ZAPZYT Adult Acne Clearing Gel
5. Moisturize. I know that some people think that if they are breaking out or oily, then they do not need a moisturizer. Not hydrating your skin properly only leads to more nasty blemishes or more oil production. So choose one that is both lightweight and oil free.
Korres Cinnamon & Echinacea Light Moisturizing Cream Gel for Oily Skin with Imperfections
Mary Kay Velocity Lightweight Moisturizer
How to cover it up when it happens:
- Apply your foundation normally. Apply concealer normally, under eyes and anywhere else you feel necessary. Dust with loose powder.
- Using a cotton swab apply a tiny bit of moisturizer on the actual pimple.
- Pat a little bit of powder onto that pimple.
- With a pointy concealer brush (for precision), apply a tiny bit of concealer to the pimple and pat it out with a clean finer to smooth any edges.
Red Earth Concealer Brush &
Prescriptives Flawless Concealer Spf 25
Finally dust some powder over that are to seal the deal!
You will have successfully cover it up!
You are what you eat:
What you eat and drink will also determine what your skin looks like. I am not talking about myths, but rather reminding everyone that when you choose healthy whole foods, it has an overall effect on your body. Here are what the experts have to say:
- Vitamin A is very important to skin health. You can find this in dairy. If you eat yogurt, you will also reap the benefits of acidophilus which fights off bacteria.
- Antioxidants found in fruits such as berries help to fight off free radicals in the body. Free radicals cause damage to your cells.
- Omega 3s found in Olive Oil, salmon, walnuts, flax seeds.
- Whole grains in whole wheat bread, turkey, tuna and brazil nuts have selenium which play a role in healthy skin as well.
- Green Tea has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Water keeps your cell hydrated. Half a gallon or 8 glasses is the norm.